View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #30
sworkhard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Maybe I got a lemon; my apps would be constantly freezing, the internet was sporadic in its effectiveness (not to mention the browser itself was nigh useless for reading large blocks of text). The only thing that I could definitively identify as superior was the Android facebook app; I'm not sure why, but on 3G, iOS Facebook never works properly.

Ultimately, they're just phones. But having the iTunes store on the phone, not having to lift a finger to sync my music to the device, and everything 'being where it's supposed to be' on an iPhone have convinced me that it's worth another contract or two before I re-visit whether or not Android functions the way I want it to.
Agreed on the text reflow issue. HTC Android devices do a great job of it, but Samsung is pretty terrible at it. I've tweaked the browser settings to make it acceptable to me. I mostly fixed it by using a different browser though. The biggest difference is likely our usage profiles. Music is pretty much the only thing I still use my iOS devices for and iOS built on apps are still better at it. Since I switched to rdio for most of my music though, I've found apples vehicle integration lacking. Instead of going to the next track in the app I'm using, it starts the music app and starts playing from there. Very annoying.

It's not really a matter of android not functioning the way you want it too, but not caring enough to take the time to learn a whole new os and device, and then deciding if the positives outweigh the negatives. This is as good a reason as any to not change platforms.

Your experiences with android mirror my first 4 days on iOS. Nothing was where it was supposed to be, things didn't work as expected, etc. After a month with the iphone though, it was just as intuitive as android was, even if I missed things like the notification system from android (before apple copied them).

In my opinion, you really have to choose a platform and stick with it until something a lot better comes along. I chose android early on (before the original droid), and it's developed the way I hoped. The only thing that would get me to wholly switch to IOS at this point is if I needed one phone I could use worldwide. The iphone is still nearly the only phone with quad band 3g data.

Last edited by sworkhard; 07-25-2012 at 05:47 PM.
sworkhard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sworkhard For This Useful Post: