View Single Post
Old 02-22-2024, 09:56 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finding a process and being able to stick to it is always the rub.

Where you're starting typically means a different plan as well.

Over the years I've bounced in and out of weightloss cycles (as low as 175 and as high as 235 in the last 15 years - 40 years old now). About 3.5 years ago I started a weightloss cycle just tracking calories via MyFitnessPal and tracking steps via Google Fit (since I at the time was too lazy to wear a tracker). Got myself down to 185 from 235 over about 24 months with more attention paid to caloric intake and in/out calorie usage (daily walks, elliptical, etc.) and trying to expend more than I intake.

About 14 months ago I switched gears at the behest of my wife and started strength training and instead of focusing on total calories, I started focusing on Macros (again using MyFitnessPal). I tracked my weightlifting manually on paper at first and now through WHOOP! which is a paid wearable + app - I'm a data nerd and it is by far the best of all the trackers/wearables that I've tried.

Generally I do about 30m of jogging on a treadmill/outside 3-4 times a week (or other cardio, such as when I take my kid to the indoor climber playgrounds, which are a massive full-body workout), and 5-6 days of weight training for 60m-90m depending (gym days are longer than at home days). Weight training is broken into 2x Shoulders+Arms, 2x Chest+Back, and 2xLower Body+Core each week, with Lower Body usually suffering as a casualty/rest/cardio swap day if I'm tired since my legs/calves/glutes are already massive from years of playing baseball and skateboarding.

In the 14 months I've been strength training, I've gained about 28lbs back (sitting at ~213lb now), and am sitting at 17% bodyfat as of my last body comp.

On that note, checking your body comp every 6 months is huge to tracking progress, both from cardio and strength training. When losing initial weight, you watch the fat % drop more incrementally, but when you start strength training this goes up exponentially as the muscle replaces fat. It's also extremely helpful mentally since strength training will make your weight increase due to bulking and seeing that "no this is good now" on paper with numbers erases the guilt you have of getting "heavy" again.

My current macro intake is ~170-200g of Protein per day (2x protein shakes w/ ultrafiltered milk comprises about 76g of this). Carbs and fat targets are balanced based on my body weight; most body comp testing places (~$100 a visit) also do nutrition analysis and will tell you your macro targets.

I do my body comp analysis with Eatuitive downtown https://eatuitivenutrition.com/testing/ - Highly recommend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 02-22-2024 at 10:07 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: