View Single Post
Old 10-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I use Fido and I think it has deals with other providers as well to hop on their towers as needed (shows up as Fido EXT). Robbers, I mean Rogers I seem to recall does no and seems to often end up with more no service situations than other providers (anecdotal only).

My buddy was saying for Shaw mobile that it wasn't that he didn't get reception, it was that he'd have reception, but the quality vs others was awful or he'd have to pay roaming rates relatively regularly.

Fido also has several "1 hour unlimited" options you can choose on each billing cycle, but you have to remember to turn it on to use it. So if you needed to do phone updates and download a ton of movies/songs for offline use, you can do this with no usage of your data on your plan for that hour it is on. I've done it before and crushed out 5-6 GB without worry of updates, song playlist downloads and movies for offline for Netflix within 15 minutes.
I wonder if I was maybe just the bands available for his phone? My wife and I haven't had quality issues at all.

I don't get the roaming rates billing issue, I've never had that. Here is what they say about roaming:
Quote:
Shaw Mobile has relationships with network partners in Canada and globally so that you can stay connected when travelling. When you’re outside of the Shaw Mobile network coverage area in Canada, you’ll connect to the Nationwide network – all of our smartphone plans include no-charge access to Nationwide so that you can continue using your device normally.
Quote:
When I’m connected to the Nationwide network, my device indicates that it is roaming, is this normal?
Yes, this is expected behaviour. While we do not charge roaming or other fees on the Nationwide network within Canada, your device will understand that it’s not connected to Shaw’s network. Mobile data roaming must be enabled to access data services on the Nationwide network, otherwise only calling and text messaging services will be available. Picture and Video messages also require that mobile data roaming is enabled in your device settings. Additionally, we do not charge data overage fees while using the Nationwide network.
https://support.shaw.ca/t5/mobile-ar...ing/ta-p/22805

So maybe he was in the US? You shouldn't get roaming charge in Canada.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote