View Single Post
Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #4736
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I don't understand what problem this sovereignty act is supposed to solve. What specific federal overreach does this address? It seems like it is an emotional appeal to some nebulous grievances Alberta has against the federal government, without any specifics as to how it will be used, and equally as important, how it would have been used in the past to show that it will be effective.

This is leaving aside the constitutional question of whether this bill concentrates too much power in the executive; that might be the more important issue, but to make any argument that this concentration is necessary, it seems to me the usefulness of the legislation should first be proven. If it is going to be ineffective or is never going to be invoked successfully, its purpose would seem to be only symbolic, with large negative side effects.

I don't think you have to be "leftist" to want a clear explanation of what this act is trying to accomplish. So far I haven't seen anything other than the aforementioned appeal to emotion.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk