Thread: [Game Takes] Oilers 1 Flames 0
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #16
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I'm not sure how a play develops should reflect whether it's high danger or not.

Just interesting that in this case for example, it will seem like Rittich let in a goal on a low danger chance where in fact the shot went into a wide open goal where he had no chance.

If they end up putting tracking technology into pucks, I wonder if they will be able to calculate the time and space a shooter has in determining danger, vs. simply where they are shooting from.

This will be interesting, and frankly would be in my mind necessary to take analytics to the next level and beyond.

Rather than shot location, you can consider
- time on the shooter’s stick prior to the shot
- puck movement prior to the shot
- goalie position at the time of the shot
- duration of time goalie is set in position prior to the shot
- goalie movement prior to the shot

It would be difficult to track all of this for sure, then to categorize the situations so that they can be input in to a statistically significant model

Now as far as time and space goes, you could introduce another layer that involves positioning of defensive players near the shooter or between shooter and net, and that would get extremely complex

But I agree, the holy grail is to be able to translate all factors that contribute to a goal into measurable items that can be input in to a model so it can be improved
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: