View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM   #109
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Frankly I am quite surprised that you appear to simply ignore Kucherov. He is 9.5 over 8. That isn’t dusty, the payday starts at the same time as Tkachuk’s new deal. Next year. By your argument, Yzerman paid him for not the 100 point season in the bank, but for what he expected. And then Kucherov had 1.64 x Tkachuk’s points. That’s not a player in the same conversation.

Easy question for Tre to ask Tkachuk. You going to get me 128 points? Along with ‘where’d you go down the stretch and in the playoffs, when games matter?’ Tkachuk has more to put together before he asks for UFA money as a RFA.

Why was Subban’s bridge bad for Montreal? 2 bargain years plus the next 6 at 9M is 7.4 average over 8 year.

9.5 is a big deal now because this is a team close to the cap and it is 2-almost 3 M more than they need to spend today. Creates a whole host of other cap problems. Also to go from 5 years at 7 to 8 at 9.5, you are tacking on 3 years at 13.7 million per. Yowza.

I think the list of RFAs is relevant as a data point. Sure, not the be all end all, but basically because they are contracts signed as RFAs. You can clearly see that they are not paid like UFAs, and only a couple of very special wingers are even on the entire list.

I like the player, and like you, I expect 5 years but nearer to 7 than 8, give or take.

I just don’t see committing now to outer years at an elevated level. I don’t think his defensive game is that great. It’s okay, but Backlund does a lot of the heavy lifting defensively. As centres generally do. Which is why they make more than wingers. And I don’t know if the Pre ASG scoring clip is replicable and sustainable. For him as well as the others such as Monahan, Lindholm etc.

RFAs have limited rights and you should have them prove or accomplish something before you back up the truck.
Kucherov is also 25 with three extra years under his belt, which is not insignificant. But he does provide a pretty good counter point for the Flames to point to when negotiating with Tkachuk.

As far as Subban goes, your numbers are off. Combining his bridge and the first 6 years of his next contract actually sets an AAV of 8.2. If you compare him to EK, Montreal saves $0.75m for two years, and then proceeded to pay an extra $1.7m every year after that (Nashville now, but same thing). Bridge deals have almost always ended up costing team’s more money overall than 7 or 8 year deals. It’s just the upfront cost that sucks.

Imagine if they had signed Gaudreau for 3 years instead of 6. This year would be a disaster.

Not that I think Tkachuk with sign a 2-3 year deal anyway. But it would be a monumental mistake if that happened. Bridge deals are deadly. Almost every bargain contract was one signed long term and signed early.