View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #1039
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The thing that irritates me the most is the argument that you need the 2nd amendment in order to protect against government tyranny.

People I know on the right in the US bring this up, and these are for the most part sensible people, its just absurd to suggest that the Government avoids tyranny because lots of people have guns lol

Its a delusional concept that might have worked 100 years ago, but not today. Does anyone think that a militia of fat middle aged guys with assault rifles is going to live more then 6 seconds against the US military if they rose up against a tyrannical government.

If hypothetically the US government had decided to directly deal with the Congress incident by rolling in a light infantry unit that they would have done anything but pee their pants and die?

If anything a so called tyrannical government would use these militia groups as an excuse to take them out. But even under Joe who is decidedly an enemy of these groups didn't role out murder squads to deal with them.

The concept of a militia who could keep a government in theoretical check worked best after the civil war period when most of those militia members would have been hardened veterans who could muster significant forces and they'd sit there and shoot each other and laugh as lead balls bounced off of each others heavy jackets.

Right now, and I'm meandering, there is absolutely a gun problem, I can't argue that, I don't think anyone can argue that. But there's also a wide political divide in the States that was encouraged by romantic notions about how the government is in theory supposed to work and be kept in check. There's also a real rage issue in the States. Mix that with easy access to fire arms and you've got a problem.

The solution isn't as simple as taking away guns or hardening gun laws. There's too much money to be made. There's a real need for a government to deal with mental health issues, race issues, divided community issues, and poverty issues combined with real serious crime and gang issues.

Its an impossible situation for any government at any level to deal with.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: