View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #6
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I enjoyed it, but as I said in the other thread I didn't find it memorable. I'm going to run down some thoughts in point form.

I thought the portrayals of each character was great. They left me wanting to see a solo outing for each character.

I thought the first third of the movie was really strong, the pacing felt polished and the character introductions were short but enough. Really strong. The middle third, I felt came off the rails big time, there was some huge jumps in narrative and some glossing over of character stuff. For example after resurrecting Superman for all of their given reasons, Clark just peaces out with Lois and the rest go on to fight Steppenwolf without really saying much. I think Aquaman at one point said "Well, Superman is a no-show" It was this weird giant hole in the narrative. It was like the filmmakers said "Oh right, we need to bring back Superman....okay here we go, heres kind of a cool scene...and done. Now back to the story." Then Superman shows up mid final battle, all smiles and smashes around Steppenwolf like a rag doll.

As a Superman fan, I loved the scene of him fighting the rest of the league.

When I heard reports that Steppenwolf was a weak villain, I thought they meant that he was a weak "portrayal" of a villain, not weak in strength. Turns out he was both. He was basically a plot device to give the good guys somebody to fight. They gave a small hint of his backstory, but that was pretty much it. Wonder Woman and Aquaman seemed to be handling him quite easily, then Superman showed up and really tipped the scales. For an apparent bad ass with a huge scary axe, Superman sure froze it pretty easily with his freeze breath.

I thought the Flash was really strong, I liked the nods to his future (crime lab job).

I thought Aquaman was pretty good, I'm sold on the character. I think he would have benefitted from a solo movie first though. Atlantis is just too fantastical for Aquaman to just show up without any previous character establishment.

I feel like I missed a ton of easter eggs in that historical battle scene. Aside from the Green Lantern of course.

Best sequence in the movie might have been the Amazons trying to keep the Mother Box away from Steppenwolf.

I'll maybe add more thoughts as more people comment, but overall I liked it, but whoever mandated the 2 hour time limit probably did the film a disservice.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post: