View Single Post
Old 09-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #53
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I mean, is it safe to say that Sutter is a smart hockey guy?

Or does he have some sort of tunnel vision? He must be familiar with Gudbranson, and how below average he is.
Until I see evidence to the contrary, I'm going with my Kevin Dahl theory:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
It's my guess that this guy was signed to be a poster boy. He will play Sutter hockey, and any defenceman who wants to stay in the lineup will have to play Sutter hockey to keep up.
I was only able to watch part of the game against the Oilers, and that on my laptop, so I didn't have good enough sound to pick out Gudbranson yelling at other players on the ice about positioning. If he was doing that, at least it was one useful thing. Apart from that, he looked like a typical vet with six inches of summer rust all over his body. (Bet you thought he was wearing a red jersey!)

I don't like the signing at all, but I am not prepared to cast aspersions at Sutter about it, because (a) he has, in fact, proved over and over again what a smart hockey guy he is, and (b) he did not, in fact, sign this player or any others.

Apparently there was enough of a market for Gudbranson to drive his price up close to $2 million. I don't know why, honestly. But that's the lowest cap hit he has commanded since his ELC, and teams keep wanting to acquire the guy. I am humble enough to wait and see if there is any adequate reason for this.