View Single Post
Old 03-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
And that has certainly turned Russia into a utopian paradise

While cases like this may call for extremely harsh punishment the issue is that once you open that door a crack it continues to open further and further.
And I have no problem with opening that crack further with violent offenders and multiple offenders

From Stats Can website about re-offender stats

Quote:
Many repeat offender statistics in Canada are deceptively low. One of the reasons for this is that Corrections Canada excludes provincial statistics from their rates (federal and provincial correctional departments do not currently share information with one another). An offender serving time in a federal jail who had previously served time in a provincial jail would not be labeled a repeat offender. Out of 310,000 convictions in 2002-03 only 4281 offenders were sentenced to a federal prison. In addition, Correctional Services statistics do not take into account conditional sentences or other non-prison sentences, which have grown in popularity. Finally, Correctional Services rates do not include offenders that have been free for more than three years. In light of these factors, it is easy to see just how misleading these statistics can become.
The few studies that do attempt to track prior convictions across jurisdictions peg recidivism at alarmingly high rates. Six out of every ten convicted offenders aged 18 to 25 in 1999/2000 had at least one previous conviction, according to a new pilot study of court-based recidivism in seven provinces and two territories. Among these repeat offenders, 72% had multiple prior convictions. Nine out of ten offenders sentenced to a federal corrections facility (meaning at least a two year sentence) had at least one prior conviction either in adult or youth court. (Source: Statistics Canada)
I'm not talking about dope smokers and first time offenders who have genuinely made a mistake and can be reformed.

I'm talking about child molesters and murderers and people who profit on other peoples misery (pimps, and drug dealers dealing in heavy destructive drugs)

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote