View Single Post
Old 02-12-2019, 05:44 AM   #9639
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Why are some people so fixated on trading Tkachuk, a 21-year-old star who is on pace for a 36-point improvement over last year? This is madness.
Fixated? It was the first time I've ever seen a suggestion to do so. It was actually the only realistic trade suggestion made in the past month IMO. You have to give to get, and when you are talking about trying to acquire big game you need big assets. Treliving has already said he won't move the 1st for anything short term, so that means you need to move an asset of value to bring in what pushes you over the top. And it is not madness. Madness is suggesting that Ottawa is going to give up their best assets for a late first, a support player, and a cap dump. The reason I made the suggestion was to inject a little bit of realism into the discussion. Tkachuk is a keeper, IMO, but in the spirit of moving a future asset for the now, and go big game hunting, Tkachuk was an asset that was the best fit.

Put the shoe on the other foot. Say we're at the end of Gaudreau's contract and there is no indication he wants to sign here. Philadelphia comes knocking and says they have interest. What get's your attention? An Offer of a late first, Oskar Linblom, and Andrew MacDonald, or an offer of Nolan patrick/Sean Couturier? I think the answer is obvious. You have to give to get, and sometimes it hurts to get what you want. This was an example of that.

For what its worth, I would prefer that Treliving only tried to do something minor, like improve the goaltending and not do anything crazy, like selling off draft picks we desperately need to fill a pretty barren system. Lets see what this team has.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: