View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:06 AM   #35
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the GM is in that hard of a spot. Both players have essentially come out and said they won't return and want to reach UFA. Any educated Jacket fan has to know that trading them for a haul is the best move. A good GM makes the hard choices and gets returns on those players.

The Jackets are certainly in playoff contention. But IMO they aren't a cup favorite barring some miracle run. The GM can't bet on miracles. He has to look at not only his team, but the teams they are competing against and has to decide if they can make a cup run. With teams like TB, Toronto and Washington going up against them, in his heart he has to know this isn't the season. Selling off both players for big hauls likely moves them into contention as early as next season and beyond.

I know if a Flames' player publicly stated he wants to be a UFA and the team isn't a cup favorite, I would be on-board with trading them for a good return even if they were in a playoff spot. The GM can trade both players and if at any point he starts receiving backlash, he can easily point to both players publicly saying they won't be around next season. They have both essentially made it easier for the GM to justify the trades.

Trading them both hurts the team short term. But long term IMO it's the right move.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-29-2019 at 08:09 AM.
Huntingwhale is online now   Reply With Quote