View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
You don't boil it. The temperatures vary depending on what you're trying to cook. The temperatures are high enough to cook, but not that high. The whole point is to find a sweet spot where the food you're trying to cook will be prepared, but in a very controlled, uniform environment.
Well, yes it's not "boil". My post was a slight jest and jab. I get how it works. I just don't get how long it takes.

Immersion in water to allow for uniform cooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
There's plenty of things that cook under an hour. You can do an entire tenderloin in an hour.

Also, you don't sous-vide a burger appetizer while waiting. You kill that time with a bourbon old-fashioned using home-made bitters, waxing and grooming your beard, ironing your skinny jeans and wool vest, and debating the dying art of the oxford comma.

But an entire tenderloin in an hour? Hmm... I am intrigued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
From what I understand (I just post the deals I see), it's a combination of the even cooking, keeping in all the moisture and flavor.

Yup, saw those pictures. I was impressed by similar pics. What I really didn't have a good idea was whether I could prepare some of these items in the same speed as regular cooking, or whether it was something I'd have to set aside time like a slow cooker.

To be honest, an hour of cooking wouldn't be bad for meats, I could use that time for bourbon, or dessert and other dish prep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Yes and no. The big thing for me is that it removes the mistake factor. It's generally a pretty idiot proof way of food preparation, with consistent, predictable results. If you're using a grill, or a flat top, or an oven, or something else, you have to take into account temperature variances, flare ups, time, etc. etc. in a way that you wouldn't have to with sous vide.
Honest question, is it as idiot proof as a pressure cooker? The results of sous vide are undeniable, but I have huge concerns regarding my patience and getting hangry. Also, how do you figure out whether the meat is "done"?

Whelp, I am going to get that Anova sous vide then. It seems like most of those that already have given enough evidence for me to believe I will have no such issue with the item.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote