View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #27
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Apparently Kunkstyle is the sous vide champ.

Also, do you use a torch to finish? I have one essentially just for creme brulee, and cmon, if that works, that's what I'm gonna do.
Hardly a champ, just love cooking with it and my friends that don't cook or don't use a sous-vide got tired of me talking about it all the time. Although I have basically sold 4 of them for Anova...

A torch works quite well, and as GGG pointed out, no extra cooking, just a nice char.

I still use cast because I like a nice butter sear. One trick I found that works wonders with cast is patting the meat dry with paper towel. Instead of putting it in the cast and having to evaporate the water before the sear can start, it sears immediately, so you cut down the time in the cast to avoid over-cooking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Of course you could just not overcook your chicken using any of the old fashioned methods, an instant read thermometer does the job fine and gets you a nice crust flavoured with garlic, herbs and a little butter.
Safe to say you've never cooked with one before then?

Using your example of chicken, it's not a perfect evenly shaped cube. You've got an end that might be 5mm thick, while the middle is 30mm thick. The thing with sous-vide is that the thin end will be a perfect 60 degrees, while the thick middle part is also a perfect 60 degrees. No burnt or dry ends, no undercooked thick parts. No worrying about flipping it or taking out of the pan in time.

Yeah, I can cook chicken in an oven or steak in a cast and do a fine job, but the sous-vide is leaps and bounds above "just fine".
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote