View Single Post
Old 07-14-2022, 03:44 PM   #2107
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think rubecube is qualified to determine whether a term is embarrassing.
He's really not and neither are you - certainly not a concept like the "marketplace of ideas". In terms of the tradition of philosophy you guys are, bluntly, nobodies. You haven't got any credibility because you haven't got any body of work that would entail credibility. Show at least a tiny bit of intellectual humility - I mean, if it was "I'm not convinced by Mill's views about the importance of having free reign for competing ideas for a variety of reasons", fine, reasonable people can disagree. But "this entire philosophical concept is embarrassing! People who think this is true aren't just mistaken, they should be embarrassed!" That kind of statement... you're only embarrassing yourself.

The things mentioned in the paragraph I specifically referenced are totally in line with what I originally said about the guy - that he's a nutbar and says a bunch of things that not only don't make sense but don't even offer the pretense of trying to make sense. More than that, the context he's making those comments in that paragraph are in reference to the exact same debates that I was basing my original views about him on (particularly the one with Sam Harris). So, yeah, not really a change in my own viewpoint on who Peterson has always been as a thinker, there... he's saying roughly the same stuff I was on page 1 of this thread. It's certainly fair to say my opinion of Peterson has changed for the worse over time, but it was already pretty low to begin with.

EDIT: I do seem to have been pretty irritated with you when I made that post you quoted though. You must have been acting like a real jerk around that time. That's probably it. Unlikely to have been me just being in a bad mood, doesn't seem plausible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-14-2022 at 03:49 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote