View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 09:44 PM   #5
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what are people's estimates for what housing prices do in Calgary for 2020?

On one hand you have CMHC's report speculating that prices could be down 25% in Alberta. I'd say that 25% is valid for Calgary with it's head office concentration.

Then you have CREB issuing a revised for report Calgary May 1. They report a decline of 2-4% depending on housing type, but don't make a call on where it goes. Lots of stats if you are inclined to drill into these results further (link)

Apologies for the bearish outlook - but my crystal ball estimate are:

- From June to Sept 2020 pricing declines according to CREB's minus 2-4% estimate for detached and attached housing. Apartments decline 5-7%

- In Sept the CEWS wage subsidy ends and a lot of companies counting on it turn to layoffs. Pricing declines on attached/detached over the next 6-12 months from Sept 2020 onwards get to 15% as forced sales increase. Apartment pricing declines 10-25%.

- WFH starts moving people towards larger homes back into the suburbs on the basis of 'bang for your buck'

- Purpose built rentals continue to saturate the apartment market and continue to drive apartment condo pricing downwards.

- A good number of small to medium developers crater, especially those focus on inner city infills and multi-family developments.

Just my guesses. As a person with a rental property I sincerely hope I'm wrong. Would love to hear what people in real estate are seeing.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 06-01-2020 at 10:03 PM.