View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #1498
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I started playing control the other evening on the PS4 and it's a pretty interesting game for sure. First time I've grabbed a game that wasn't produced a year prior to my purchase. I quite enjoy it so far.

The inability to adjust difficulty is a little annoying especially when you get cratered 20 times in a row. I haven't died this many times consecutively since Dark Souls. The play style you must employ (don't stop moving) is weird at first and really counter intuitive. But now that I figured it out, it's not too bad difficulty wise. It is also kinda weird there's no portable health recovery options. You just have to kill guys and wander close enough to rejuvenate the tiniest bit of health. Your powers overall are pretty OP, but it's glass cannons vs glass cannons. Story line wise, it feels neat.

The interface is odd though. It feels like something in between what we have now and the game design from 5-6 years ago. Controls wise, it feels like only the slightest upgrade from the original Alan Wake and several years behind the controls of Mass Effect: Andromeda. Not having the ability to spin around and follow a clear marker to the highlighted quest is odd. I mean, it's there but it's hard to see. It's the same with collectibles in a room. You can't just start in a corner and figure out everything in a room within a few seconds of scanning it. I have to wander close enough to everything to see if an interaction prompt pops up. Unlocking a seemingly basic dodge move sets as an optional quest deep in the second area of the oldest house is also bizarre.

Other than these funky aspects to the game though. I think it's awesome. It's no horror for sure, but it sure as hell is trippy as it goes back and forth between real video overlay cinematic, video game rendering cinematic and game play camera angle cinematic. Great game IMO if you're willing to work with the clunkiness. I bet there will be a patch to fix the controls as well as some of the ####ty frame rates that occurs on occasion.

It's a nice change of pace after all the emo suicidal story line with repetitive hack and slash that Crystar had to offer.

I'm thinking after I crush these two games, I might consider Judgement next as I've been a fan of the Yakuza games.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: