View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #95
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I think reason most of them are trash is that most integrated systems are found on entry to mid-level gear. I'll probably never go back to an integrated (except possibly for a groomer ski), but they've got some pros.
The reason it's found on entry to mid level gear is that people who have a need for top end gear don't want anything to do with the system.

Dude that is so much plastic. There was a set of Tyrolia 18 DIN'ers that weren't too shabby but the release points on the regular stock make me cringe and I'd destroy that toepiece in 20 days. The ability to move your effective mount point is simply not a worthwhile tradeoff for the loss of durability, the every-present pre-release issues that no one in an integrated system seems to have figured out, and particularly the lack of stability. I don't want a 10mm lifter on my ski when I'm skiing pow and being able to move my boot centre 3cm back isn't anywhere close to compensating for it - not to mention that with a rockered ski it's just not that beneficial to do that anyway.

Changing boots isn't an issue - your BSL length should never vary from boot to boot by more than 5-8mm or so, and any binding can be adjusted to take that into account. The ability to binding swap is an obvious perk and it's what created the Line Reactor, which was the most ambitious and worthwhile project that has ever been attempted, and subsequently failed, in the history of the sport. Period. Someday someone will take another stab at that but for now everyone's scared off.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote