View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 12:32 AM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
When I see Hanifin, I see a defenseman who can join the rush and create offense, but he's a defenseman first.

When I see Hamilton, I see a guy that was probably pushed into playing defense at a young age because of his size, but it looks like he'd rather play forward. He plays the game like a forward, not a defenseman.

I'll take Hanifin, even if Hamilton scores more goals. You need guys dedicated to defense playing that position. Guys who are more concerned about offense will sink your team in the long run. Hamilton always seemed concerned with shooting and scoring goals, not taking care of his own zone. I mean, he made a token effort, but he never seemed dedicated to it.
I agree.

Building a good team requires blending in different skill-sets, and having guys that fill different roles and work well together.

While Hamilton generated offense, and has an elite shot, I was always frustrated by his lack of commitment in the defensive zone. Then there was the added problem that we also have Brodie, who is very similar in that he generates offense, but can be challenging defensively, and maybe isn't as gritty, for lack of a better word, as we would like.

Now, Hamilton and Brodie are both great players. But I found having both of them in the lineup left the D soft and not good at covering the front of the net. The makeup of the D was just a bit off.

Even if Hanifin isn't as good of a player as Hamilton (I think he almost is, and soon will be better), I think the Flames' overall makeup on defense is better from the change.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: