Thread: e-cigs
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #31
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I guess my point is that the industry is so completely unregulated that we don't actually know if it is the better option. The absence of those cigarette based chemicals does not mean that vaping has less harmful chemicals despite the protests of the manufacturers. It just means that the chemicals and controls around those chemicals haven't been looked at or identified yet.

If it helps get you off nicotine then by all means I whole heartedly encourage you to give it a go and stick with it. I just think the bulk of people vaping fall into two groups. Group 1 are people that would never smoke a cigarette but see this as safe/cool/whatever. They are undoubtedly making their health worse. Group 2 are people switching over not to rid themsalves of the nicotine addiction but substituting one habit for another (obviously both are a nicotine habit) on the belief it is better for them. It may be or it may not be.

From my purely selfish point of view people vaping at a table next to you are just as annoying and obnoxious as someone smoking a cigarette next to you. I don't like the smells (and yes there are smells). I don't like the fact that there are chemicals being exhaled including nicotine which is addictive and had health consequences. My fear is that tobacco companies are going to run hard with this and we are going to be back to the days of having to wade through clouds and live with second hand crap. I want the industry regulated immediately and if the science proves that the regulations can be lessened then go right ahead and do that. You just can't let the big business get a chance to line the pockets of the politicians or we are going to have issues 10-15 years from now when the effects of vaping are starting to be known but it is so entrenched like smoking was.

A bit of the sky is falling I know but in my area a city of 60 thousand has over 15 vaping shops spring up in the past year. And it's not because we have 15 store owners that are greatly concerned with your health. It's because the profit margin is 90% or so on the liquids and they are looking for a quick score before regulations may be put in place. They are more than happy to sell you the e-cig for very little profit because they know a new user will get addicted (it's nicotine) and they hook the cigarette smoker with a completely unsubstantiated "it's better for you" or "it'll help you end your addiction to nicotine". The latter is also unsubstantiated and a terrible business model.
As a non-smoker myself I understand that it seems "easy" to just stop smoking; but as an experiment I think every non-smoker should try and cut sugar out of their diet and really feel what dependence is...its not easy to stop things like nicotine/sugar/fat/salt that our bodies enjoy.

I bought my friend a vaporizer/e-cig with no nicotine and it cut his smoking in half plus smelled like peaches. I consider that a win.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote