View Single Post
Old 04-14-2010, 02:48 PM   #14
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Anyone have any reccomendations for herbs or vegetables to grow in a low light area? I have a small flower bed in my yard, but since it's the back of a building surrounded by other buildings there's little to no direct sunlight on the flower bed. It gets some reflected light but not a ton.

I'd like to grow some sort of small herb garden, hopefully basil, mint and chives, but I'm not sure how well it'll do. If there's anything else I should consider I'm all ears.
Dill can grow quite well in low sunlight conditions. But be warned. It's a weed, and it certainly grows like one. You will need to keep an eye on it and thin it out if it starts getting out of control. 1 or 2 healthy stalks should be enough. Parsley is another herb that can grow really well in low sunlight conditions. Try to find a flat leaf variety as opposed to the curly leaf.

Chili peppers can grow quite well in the shade, but they need a long and warm growing season. Even a slight frost can ruin them. If you're starting with seeds, you probably want them in the ground, oh, a month ago, but if you can find small plants and transplant them, you may be able to have a decent harvest by august.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post: