View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM   #55
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, the idea that every person and family living in a trendy area is fine with buying all their groceries at equally trendy markets and shops is false. Everyone still has bills to pay and needs that cost effective, catch all shopping experience without having to drive 2 or 3 communities over.
There aren't even any trendy markets in the Eau Claire area. Only sad and run-down shops on life-support. I lived and worked in the area for years and I never had the desire to buy any ultra-marked up food from the run-down places in there like Island Foods. I like to support local businesses but there's a line when it's that overpriced and everything looked unappetizing to eat like a dusty convenience store. I really do feel for their business but I can understand why the area doesn't attract customers.

The entire area needs redevelopment but the death knell was the cluster of residential that the city zoned and allowed behind the mall and beside the old Hard Rock. I hear they object to almost any noise & large gatherings which killed the vibe of the area as a vibrant place for restaurants, bars, street parties, etc. which is one reason the Hard Rock turned into a daycare.

I think the most desirable inner city areas right now are centered around the urban grocery stores - Superstore in the East Village, Urban Fare on 17th, and the Beltline Co-op. The entire allure to inner city is that you can walk to work, amenities, and food. Living downtown but still having to drive down to Deerfoot Meadows for groceries always seemed counter-intuitive.

The East Village Superstore was absolutely packed on Sunday. I hope that gives other retail more confidence to open in downtown.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-22-2021 at 11:06 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: