View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:27 PM   #4718
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I never said this is the only way to call attention to this aspect of society.

Pump the brakes. I know this is extremely upsetting for anyone with a conscience, but I would greatly appreciate you not putting words in my mouth or interpreting my intentions, especially regarding this topic.
I don't accept any defence of this film, don't accept any context where it's "not that bad". Am not going to apologize for that. And I think I took your words exactly as they were written and did not misinterpret them.

There is no "pump the brakes" for me here.

In fact reading your post again, if anything I am under reacting to it.
Quote:
I watched it and I can understand the criticism, but I do believe it is a major overreaction. The unabashed sexualization was kind of the point; it was supposed to make people uncomfortable. It made me cringe. We should be uncomfortable and reflecting on how young girls are and want to be sexualized at such an early age, despite them not being able to comprehend how problematic that is for them. How they chose to get that message across was visceral, but I don't see the call for the level of outrage. These competitions are happening in the manner they're depicted in the movie...that should be where the conversation starts.

It's strange that people are complaining about scenes like the condom balloon but don't make a fuss about the film Good Boys. That was a coming-of-age comedy that was rife with its sexual overtones. Frankly, I've seen worse from the US version of Shameless, which routinely sexualized and showed nudity of children as young as 13 (nudity was of 18+ actors).
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote