View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 09:17 PM   #4715
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I have to strongly disagree. This is like saying that it's okay to abuse animals when making a movie about animal abuse. These child actors cannot comprehend how their art is going to carry on through their lives. I've watched parts of the movie and it's really, really gratuitous. There's no reason to zoom in and linger the camera on an 11 year old girls bum while she's twerking on the floor. There's no reason to show a kid twerking and showing how she can move her hips to an older man. No reason for a pre-teen girl to whip her pants down on film and take a photo of her crotch. Literally no reason at all...I don't give a #### what the context is. It's exploitative.

I feel like the subject matter is absolutely something that needs to be talked about, but it needs to be done without exploiting young girls, probably in the form of a documentary. It's hard to think about, but this is absolutely going to be used grossly by pedos. Adult actresses are able to reconcile and understand how some scenes they chose to be a part of will be used and re-posted. These girls are pre-teens. We aren't even talking about teenagers, these girls are children...kids.
Well, no, that's not really the same. I think our interpretation of abuse and exploitation are much different. However, I agree that it if it were me I would have approached the subject matter from the medium of a documentary. I would guess it wouldn't get near the attention a cinematic film would, and I'm assuming the producers were going for a broader appeal.

And yes, there are reasons for that type of cinematography and no, they're not for the reasons most are seeing. That's not the audience's fault, though, because that's what the camera is intending. It's where the characters are wanting you to look. It's inevitable when children are permitted and encouraged to perform in a such a highly sexualized environment. Again, that isn't saying that it is right (it's not). There's a myriad of reasons why these competitions and marketing of sex and adulthood towards children is damaging. The characters clearly don't understand the impact of their wardrobe and hyper-sexualization. I would give the child actors more credit, though. It's disingenuous to proclaim there's no reason and the children are simply being exploited.

I consume a lot of media, so perhaps I'm desensitized to a greater degree than most. Still, I don't see this film warranting the outrage it is receiving and I feel just as uncomfortable with certain blockbusters and primetime television. Of course, they don't get the same attention (understandably), but I still feel gross watching implied underage nudity in a transparently sexualized context on Showtime.

It's not my kind of film for sure, but I would hold the line on calling it pedophilic or exploitative. Pedos are not going to Netflix to produce, distribute, and consume material. I would expect this is pretty vanilla fare for those kinds of people.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote