View Single Post
Old 09-15-2017, 02:24 PM   #2514
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
You think currently Ferland is anything more than a third line RWer?
Yes. He's currently at least a 2nd line skilled power forward.

Quote:
Gillies can't even take an AHL starter job and he's not a long shot?
Rittich's excellent play doesn't diminish Gillies' potential and value. It speaks more about how well Rittich has played. Treliving said recently that many people outside the organization thought Rittich was one of the best goalies in the AHL last year.

Quote:
Fox hasn't even played a professional game yet.
Nope but the opinions of scouts and coaches on him seems to be showing that he's increased his value tremendously since being drafted. He's worth at least a 2nd rounder now, maybe more.

Quote:
Some of the homer opinions on Flame players is sad. Reminds me of Oiler fans opinions in their non playoff years.
You know what? Sometimes it takes a lot more courage and conviction to identify a player's upside and stick by that. I've been calling Ferland a potential top two line power forward since he first broke in with the Flames and dealt with a lot of posters who said he'd never be more than a 4th liner. You know what doesn't take courage? Taking the pessimistic approach on every player and prospect.

Quote:
Fox and Gillies are long shot prospects to anyone who follows prospects and just doesn't call themselves a draft expert on the Internet.
Agree to disagree. Gillies is a big, 6'5 athletic goalie who's won a national championship while playing on a bum hip. He's got all the tools to develop into an NHL goalie. I'm not saying he'll do it right away but he's not a long shot.

I've been a bit more skeptical on Fox because of his size but the year he had, the way he's used by the US National Juniors, the quotes by coaches and scouts are quickly removing that skepticism. He's trending upwards and you don't seem to be willing to acknowledge that.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: