View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #178
Wookie
Chick Magnet

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
There is no reason why a house in a praire city with very little in ways of good climate, water etc should cost 500K.

And comparing Calgary to Vancouver and Toronto is fruitless, Calgary is a Praire Village compared to both.
A prairie village? C'mon that's a bit harsh! Lethbridge is a prairie village! Vancouver has a longer spring and shorter winter, Toronto backs onto a filthy lake!

I don't know... I've got two story views of the mountains. It's in a nice green or brown or snowy (depending on season) parky kind of area. decent neighborhood, double car garage, 20 minutes from downtown.

People compare the prices to Toronto and Vancouver. I know someone selling a place in TO, attached row housing, that's 10 minutes from downtown, has no view, backs onto an alley, the detached garage is permanently graffiti'd, is about 100 years old, and can only legally park on one side of the road. This house is $500 - $600k.

You say that's in line with what people are paying in Calgary? Yeah it is. But in Calgary you can get a house that's twice the size, a back yard, double car garage (may or may not have view), large streets to park on, retail strips close by that you can drive to, park at, and drive home from. There is often a C-train within 10 minutes drive, no smog, less crime, less filth, and better all around services. (gym, ymca, pool, rink).

I think things may have gotten ahead of themselves pricing wise - but I don't think it's obscene.

There is a reason Calgary does so well in all these "Best places to live in the world" surveys.

Last edited by Wookie; 02-13-2008 at 07:41 PM.