View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #35
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
I interviewed with Chris Snow during the Feaster era and even as of then he indicated the stats they were gathering were far more valuable and advanced than the basic Corsi that was all the rage at the time. Not all shots are equal. Flames had been taking into account the positioning of the shot. A point shot from the middle of the ice is not the same as one from near the boards. A rebound shot is far, far more dangerous than a non-rebound shot. He wouldn’t discuss everything with me but the Flames have been near the forefront of analytics ever since he was hired from what I gather. For obvious reasons they keep most of their methodologies as secretive as possible.
This is good to hear because my biggest beef with advanced stats is things like "high danger chances". I mean just watching a game gives you a clear indication that there is so much more to a "dangerous chance" then being in a defined zone.

Hockey is so much more complicated than other sports for calculating advanced stats and I think so many people in this sport just wanted to ignore that and start proclaiming the next "money ball" analysis.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote