View Single Post
Old 05-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #2951
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Lets talk lawn mowers & leaf blowers, because this is crazy.

Quote:
Each weekend, about 54 million Americans mow their lawns, using 800 million gallons of gas per year and producing tons of air pollutants. Garden equipment engines, which have had unregulated emissions until the late 1990's, emit high levels of carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides, producing up to 5% of the nation's air pollution and a good deal more in metropolitan areas.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), a new gas powered lawn mower produces volatile organic compounds and nitrogen oxides emissions air pollution in in in one hour of operation as 11 new cars each being driven for one hour.
https://www.peoplepoweredmachines.co...nvironment.htm

Quote:
Regulators and clean-air advocates are increasingly eyeing the pollution emitted by small gasoline engines used to power lawn mowers and leaf blowers as they seek to blunt climate change. Environmentalists say using a commercial gas leaf blower for an hour produces emissions equal to driving from Denver to Los Angeles.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/11746893002/

Someone want to explain to me why gas powered mowers & blowers haven't been made illegal to sell?

I know lawns are kinda dumb to begin with, and there are WAY more environmentally friendly ways to have a nice yard, but fact is we have lots of lawns, people mow their lawn a lot, gas powered lawn mowers are ridiculous when it comes to emitting CO2, and there are dozens of viable electric versions available.

To me this is like the florescent light bulb argument. LEDs are better. But without creating incentives and laws to push people towards them, change happens slower than we might think.

And yes I was looking into a new lawn mower, and found it surprising that its pretty easy & cheap to buy a electric mower.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote