View Single Post
Old 11-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #74
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually though that DS9 was an alagory for Isreal, as many of you do as well. Considering the time in which it was made, I thought that the migration issues coming into the States from Mexico was the buried storyline from Undiscovered Country.

It is probably better saved for a discussion in a political thread, but I think that the long term impact of the Syrian migrant crisis is being viewed through rose colored glasses.

There is a problem in countries such as France (for example) with immigration causing the formation of insulated communities, that have difficulty integrating into the existing fabric of their adopted nation. Few nations have bothered to develop a solution to this problem, for fear of being labeled politically racist. In this way, although multiculturalism has been a great success in the past, America's melting pot may be an even greater success in the future. this is a very simple argument to a complicated situation, that I won't discuss here. i would say that the Federation is a culticultural society and not a melting pot.

From a Star Trek perspective, of taking a serious situation and putting it in a fictional world to examine all sides the the issue, I don't think taking insulated pockets of contrary values, inside of the Federation, has really been done. Usually the Federation is considered an ideal, and dissention fairly minor. What happens when there is a growing call for theocracy inside of an advanced civilzation?

A ship leaves to discover the cause of the migration of billions of people, only a season later to come back and discover the Federation in turmoil, as a strong opposition to the norm has taken hold and an idealogical war could change the Federation forever.

The theological problems in DS9 were such that in the end, the Federation could really care less. The migration issues in Undiscovered Country were such that it was one culture integrating into another that held many of the same general values.

Things are going to get crazy in Europe, and the Middle East would be a nutty place to fly a Starship. Would thais be enough of an interesting backdrop to a seven season run of Star Trek?

Free form rambling thought over.

Last edited by Harry Lime; 11-06-2015 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Browser posted by itself
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote