View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #334
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Feel free to think that way, but there is not an impact player in the minor league system. We have at best support players and even that is a stretch. This "outperforming narrative" is an interesting one because it is based on junior and college performance and not against real competition. You don't know what you have until the kids turn pro. All the circle jerking going on over Parsons was a great example, when the advice was to pump the breaks and see what you have when he plays against men. So far, we don't have a hill of beans. Junior or college means nothing, pro performance is everything and that's when you can tell whether you have a player on your hands. Our minor league teams are short at every position. You can't argue that.
If this is true, then I don't see that you have anything at all to complain about. You know no better than I do what the long term projection is for any of the Flames prospects. If the Flames are short at positions, it has a lot to do with how many young players they have been consistently graduating to the NHL on an perennial basis.

Quote:
As for players promoting through, who is going to be the Andrew Mangiapane or Dillion Dube from the next draft class? We should no be in the 2017 class and seeing someone other than our first rounder promote through based on what you're suggesting. Again, this is where the gap in the system begins to show. No second or third round picks, so we have to hope for a long shot or a free agent to step in. The long shots aren't holding up, so it will have to be Mackey or Gawdin to earn a full time gig. The jury is still out. How about the 2018 class? Who is going to filter in there.
I see no reason at all to conclude that players like Phillips, Ruzicka, Pettersen and Zavgourodniy will not possibly replicate what Mangiapane or Dube have done. You don't know. I don't know, but I have no complaints about what I have seen from them thus far.

Quote:
Again, the hole in the system gets a little larger. That is the point of understanding the draft and development cycle. It was the ignorance of that cycle that lead the Flames to mothball their minor league operations when Sutter was GM, they just didn't have qualified bodies to fill out rosters. That hurt the team in the long run as the stream of talent all but dried up. So it is very important to keep an eye on the system and make sure you continue to funnel talent into that pipeline. Tre allowed for that hole to develop over two consecutive drafts, which is a problem.
I understand the draft and development cycle just fine, thanks. But unlike you, I have a sense of perspective that gravitates with a little more nuance than your hair-on-fire insistence that the team's system is hot steaming garbage. I agree that the Flames don't have the best developmental system in the NHL, but it is very far from the trackless wasteland that you have described above. Like I said before: IT'S FINE; not great; not terrible. The reason it is not great is precisely because of the hole you identified, but the reason it is not terrible is because the scouts have done a solid job of making the most of the picks they have had to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-23-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote