View Single Post
Old 12-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #3538
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think this belongs here

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/fort...source=twitter

Quote:
TORONTO -- The concept of “quantum tunnelling” sounds like it would take at least an hour to explain -- but it only took one Fort McMurry, Alta. teenager three minutes, in a video that won an international competition and scored new funding for her future and her school.
Maryam Tsegaye, 17, used her love of science to score the winning prize in the Breakthrough Junior Challenge last, a competition in which thousands of students across the world create short videos to express a science or mathematics concept.

Quote:
The monumental prize included $250,000 to go towards her schooling, a $100,000 science lab for her small high school, and $50,000 for her science teacher.

Quote:
I picked quantum tunnelling because it’s a quantum phenomenon that I’d never heard of until I was researching for the competition, and I was completely taken away with the whole topic and fell down a spiral of articles and everything.” So what is quantum tunnelling?
In her winning video -- which had to be less than three minutes -- Tsegaye started off by referencing a cheat code in a video game her brother had played, which allowed characters to move through walls.
“Imagine if you could walk through walls in real life!” she said in the video. “And it turns out you can -- at a quantum level.”
Using drawings and short animations, she explained concepts that are hard for many grown adults to grasp. Quantum mechanics concerns particles smaller than atoms which can move in extremely peculiar ways. Quantum tunnelling, according to her video, is the term for when electrons moving in a wave have a chance of making it through a barrier instead of bouncing off, something that makes nuclear fusion -- and by extension, life on Earth -- possible.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: