View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 03:27 AM   #278
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

A week ago today my elderly mother was incorrectly diagnosed with a Bladder Infection. She's 82 years old and was told it's quite common for women her age to get that. However as the days went by her condition didn't improve and she was only getting sicker, to a point where I had to take her to emergency Thursday night in High River. I got her there by 5PM and within 20 minutes she was checked in and in a room with a nurse hooking up an IV to get fluids in her body.

This young doctor comes in and asks a series of questions about her condition. From there he did a battery of tests that included her blood, urine and stool. He came back awhile later to say she didn't have Pneumonia or a Bladder Infection. Her blood had elevated levels of white cells that indicated her body was fighting an infection. IIRC he called her an enigma saying he wasn't able to find anything wrong with her yet but at the same time said he was determined to find out where the infection was.

The next morning she had a CT scan to confirm what the doctor suspected. Her Colon was enlarged where they found a bacterial infection - "C. Difficile". From there she was put on the correct antibotics and put in quarantine as her bug was contagious. Since then her condition has greatly improved and by Sunday she said wanted to go home. Was told hopefully Tuesday by the doctor.

I can't say enough good things about the doctor, nurses and all the staff at the hospital. The did an unbelievable job of treating her, especially the doctor who was very thorough in making his diagnosis.

Note to Calgarians: if you need to use emergency, make the trip to High River. You're in quickly and the care is awesome.

Last edited by Dion; 01-07-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post: