View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
1. I don't think your cover letter is a good place to be humble, but there is a way to frame things. For example, saying you graduated at the top of the class is amazing... but provide context: "I was one of seven students in a class of 3,000 to achieve XXX distinction." I don't think this is bragging (or even what you wrote). This is simply what happened. I would want to know how you got there and what you did with that achievement after.

2. This depends on the organization and role. If you're applying to a stodgy energy firm as a marketing analyst or whatever, better to play it safe. Be creative if it's an ad agency. I think in either capacity your cover letter should tell a story of who you are, what you've done and what you want to achieve.

I do feel tone should reflect your personality accurately although that could potentially work against you... from my standpoint, I wouldn't want to work at a place that doesn't like my personality. But if you're after any job, then adapt your tone to the external tone of the company.

Personal interests and passions should align with the job description: "Since childhood, I've been doodling on everything from post-its, random scraps of paper to WACOM tablets as an adult. My passion for illustration, art and graphic design is <insert additional reasons for passion here>."

I've seen a lot of communications-related cover letters and resumes. Most of the time, the number one thing I look for is an ability to write. Number two is the existence of a portfolio. I acknowledge other places/people may be different, so YMMV.
Awesome. Appreciate the feedback.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm not only a recent grad, but also have only a few years experience. Items such as a portfolio, fleshed-out CV, etc. are non-existent. Ditto work examples (though I have a few published academic papers).

Of course I'm not applying for anything other than entry-level, junior, or coordinator/advisor positions. Apart from occasionally being a year off in experience, I never apply to anything for which I am not qualified.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote