View Single Post
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM   #55
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm glad the thread has been well received, and really thankful for all the advice. It's been encouraging hearing the same frustrations from people in a similar situation, although it's too bad any of us has to worry about something so essential.

Absorbing some of the advice in here, I think I am going to take a completely new approach to my cover letter themes and totally revamp my master template.

Here's a few more questions for those here doing the hiring:

1. How appealing is it to brag in your cover letter? For instance, I graduated at the top of my class at U of C (nerd!). Should I include "with distinction", or even go as far as stating that achievement outright?

2. To what extent, or how relevant, is to be personal or casual? People have mentioned including personal interests or passions. Perhaps something near the end in passing (eg. I'm a hockey history and culture enthusiast)?

And do you appreciate a cover letter with a casual tone, or is professionalism priority? A little of both?
1. I don't think your cover letter is a good place to be humble, but there is a way to frame things. For example, saying you graduated at the top of the class is amazing... but provide context: "I was one of seven students in a class of 3,000 to achieve XXX distinction." I don't think this is bragging (or even what you wrote). This is simply what happened. I would want to know how you got there and what you did with that achievement after.

2. This depends on the organization and role. If you're applying to a stodgy energy firm as a marketing analyst or whatever, better to play it safe. Be creative if it's an ad agency. I think in either capacity your cover letter should tell a story of who you are, what you've done and what you want to achieve.

I do feel tone should reflect your personality accurately although that could potentially work against you... from my standpoint, I wouldn't want to work at a place that doesn't like my personality. But if you're after any job, then adapt your tone to the external tone of the company.

Personal interests and passions should align with the job description: "Since childhood, I've been doodling on everything from post-its, random scraps of paper to WACOM tablets as an adult. My passion for illustration, art and graphic design is <insert additional reasons for passion here>."

I've seen a lot of communications-related cover letters and resumes. Most of the time, the number one thing I look for is an ability to write. Number two is the existence of a portfolio. I acknowledge other places/people may be different, so YMMV.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post: