View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #34
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I'm indicating I want the job by sending my resume that details why I'm qualified to do this job for you. This should be self evident.
I know about this specific position because I've sent you my resume. I want to work for your organization, because I've sent you my resume. I have put time and thought into my application, because I read your cookie cutter job posting, know I am qualified and capable of doing it well, and because I have sent you my resume.
Why wouldn't you think I "have initiative" when my resume demonstrates I am completely capable of doing the job you're filling? What does pasting a cover letter into an online portal prove about "initiative" or other intangibles? Exactly nothing.
Because I'm qualified and capable of doing the job, as documented on my resume.
I haven't done any hiring (but lord knows I've done A LOT of looking). However, during my time with one company we were constantly getting resumes - whether there was a job posted or not. Many were not qualified in any way for any job in our organization. I think a lot of people send out their resumes en mass hoping for some pasta to stick to the wall.

Unless it is a clear part of the process to do so, just sending your resume only says "here's my resume", it does not say "I put great thought into sending you my resume", nor is it clear from your resume that "I am qualified". If I, as the person hiring, ask for a cover letter and don't get one, well weeding you out of the pile is simple.

Quote:
What does this empty corporate speak even mean? What kind of research are you expecting? Knowing the name of your company? Name dropping the CEO? Vaguely referencing the industry you belong to?
When I send in a cover letter I do some simple research and use words and phrases from that firm's site/industry. For example, if the company is membership driven I say "members" rather than "clients". Another example; I recently applied to the company that produces comic conventions. In my cover letter I noted that I am a longtime comic collector, pay attention to pop culture trends, am familiar with industry retailing issues, etc.

At the very least you should show some understanding of what the company does or produces.

Quote:
I have absolutely zero idea how a cover letter would make you want someone on your team before you've even met them. That's what an interview is for.
You will likely not even get to the interview stage without a decent cover letter. This is a weeding out process. HR gets 100s of applicants. I have had conversations with HR people telling me the most seemingly inconsequential thing can get you moved to the no pile - sending you resume in by fax; font issues; yes, out-of-town-ers; too plain; too colourful.

If the choice is A) resume & cover letter vs B) just resume, then A wins a phone interview for showing that little extra.

The idea that "here is my resume, I am qualified, let's have an interview to learn more" may be straightforward logic and common sense, but only the cold hard computer algorithm-based online resume sifter agrees.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post: