View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #29
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I certainly noticed their tendency towards temp placements.

If it makes any difference, my field is communications, marketing, and public/community relations. Any specialized agencies off the top of your head?

I'm not married to any specific industry, but I have experience in the post-secondary sector. A campus feels like home, but right now I just need to get on my feet and pay bills.
I work and have worked in the fields you listed. Your cover letter is critical in what you do as writing is a fundamental piece of your expertise. I’ve seen too many boiler plate cover letters, boring ones, ones that are too cute, etc...

It needs to hit that balance between being clear, concise, accurate and creative. It also needs to establish a thematic narrative that ties your career together. You want the reader to know you can tell a story.

Your print portfolio needs to be submitted somehow and should follow a case study/what you have done approach. Your online portfolio should reflect the same. Cover letter, resume, portfolios should all connect together somehow.

I haven’t had to do it often but I would say a job application takes me a good 2-4 hours to complete.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote