View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 12:57 PM   #26
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
What in your opinion constitutes a short job? Less than 6 months? Less than a year? What would raise a red flag when you were hiring?
It's not so much the length of the job but how many there were. A short-term job might be covering a leave, but if someone had more than a couple jobs in a year, I would wonder about it.

If someone was doing a bunch of short term jobs to make ends meet while searching, I would try to combine them some way. For example, state that you spent the year covering short term openings in field X for companies such as Y (and list a few of the "best" ones). I think that would be a good opportunity to mention in your cover letter that you did some short term work in the area of (whatever the company's focus is) and you are interested in pursuing a permanent position with them doing (whatever relates your previous jobs to the one you are applying for).

I was hiring people for education-related positions at a program run by a charity, so the terms are likely somewhat different than most people.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote