View Single Post
Old 01-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #60
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I'd say an unnecessary vaccine is one administered to a person who has no realistic risk of actually getting the disease while there are shortages in areas or among demographics that do need them. The H1N1 vaccination program was a good example of that.
So it was the administration of the program rather than the vaccine itself that is the issue?

Quote:
Irrelevant to anything I said since I clearly stated that I am not against vaccinations in general. I am against using fear to convince people that vaccinations are necessary 100% of the time.
Ironic given:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction
I am pretty cynical about many vaccination programs. No doubt vaccines in general save lives when they are needed, but there is also no doubt in my mind that pharmacutical companies overhype things so they can sell more vaccines. I also don't doubt that a certain percentage of people can get sick from vaccines and the different agents used to make and administer them.
It seems you are okay in using fear to avoid vaccinations.

Quote:
Interesting. Can you quantify what those damages are? It sounds pretty irrational to pin blame on a very small precentage of the population like that.
Actually if causation could be proved (I am under no illusion that it could), it would actually be very rational to have responsible parties (negligent in these examples) compensate for the damages they cause.

The flaw in my argument is not rationality but more so practicality.

Quote:
I have no misunderstandings of probabilities. I have a science background and have worked in high level research facilities in the past. The probability of an epidemic occurring because low risk people refuse to get vaccinated is pretty small. Let's not go overboard.
Again, if you have studies that demonstrate that our current vaccine schedule is ineffective I would be happy to learn more about them.

So far I have yet to see this evidence conclusively produced.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote