View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #50
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Emile Poirier - was shocked when we drafted him (really wanted to Shinkaruk or Theodore at the time) but quickly latched onto him during his first year in junior. Had a little bit of everything in his game and when he went to the A his first year I thought he'd be a mainstay for us for a long time. A lot of people were drooling over a Poirier - Bennett - Ferland line combo. Regardless, I wish him nothing but the best as maybe he just needed a change.

Corban Knight - I remember when we signed him from Florida (right?) there was a lot of hype around him. He had a pretty good first year in the AHL but sort of faded after that. A few cups of coffee around the league later and it turns out he's really nothing more than a AAAA type of player.

Ryan Culkin - Another kid from the Q that I had a soft spot for. Like a lot of us have said, he always seemed to be lumped with Kulak and I too thought Culkin was the better player. I still check his stats from time to time and it looks like he's been in the ECHL for a few years now.

Hunter Shinkaruk - As mentioned above, I really was hoping we'd draft him during that 2013 1st round. I think he was supposed to be a top 10 pick but then kept falling. When we traded for him a few years back I was super pumped and I believe he was still a pretty hyped up prospect at that time as well. Do we have something with him? Probably not, but would love to be proven wrong.

Someone else mentioned Andrei Trefilov here and funny story when I was a kid he was one of my favorite players as well. Random, right? I think I was fascinated that teams could carry more than 2 goalies and at the time was like the 3rd or 4th guy in the system (looking at you Jason Muzzatti). This was 1994 so my exposure to the Flames when I was living in Connecticut was limited to a random SportsCenter highlight and reading the Hockey News. Trefilov came in during the 94 season and posted back to back shutouts (one of them was against the Rangers too) and I was convinced he was our goalie of the future. I even sent him a card to be signed--never got it back though.
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote