View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #83
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've gotta say the NE stuff comes of as blatant racism more often than not. I grew up in Whitehorn and Stayed in the NE for a while after I left my parents house. Most of that crap comes from people who seemingly have only driven through the NE to go to the Air Port. And I find it strange how quickly people are eager to jump often every little thing people say, but this seems fine.

I'll generalize here, but most of the NE communities (Rundle - Red Stone)

Pro's,
-You'll get allot more house for your money.
-By far the best outer city area for commuting,
-Good access to shopping/services/Hospital.

Con's
-There are a disproportionate number of people who do not take care of their properties.
-You will probably see less appreciation in property
-Really lacking in entertainment, Good restaurants.
-some areas like the NW corner of Temple get allot of airport noise.

I can't really speak to areas like Malbrough/Penbrooke/Applewood, growing up I always considered them to be part of the SE, I never really spent any time around there.
If your top two priorities are bang for your buck and commute, I think it's a pretty good option. If Family, Property Value and Entertainment are high on your list there are probably better areas.

I live in Evanston now.

-Commutes pretty good for me in the morning, I leave at 6:40, takes 20 minutes to go 35KM.
-Nice Neighbourhood, but most in Calgary are.
-Better than most for walking/cycling.
-Good access to shopping, Beacon Hill, Cross Iron about 5 minutes away.
-Our Sobey's is actually a really unique layout for a grocery store, I hated it the first 2 or 3 times, but after about a month I started to love it. The way they set it up really encourages me to load my cart up fresh food and stay of the junk ilses
-2 new schools under construction now.

-Not close enough to a hospital or Entertainment, hopefully that will change as it becomes more developed.
-Afternoon commute sucks, takes about 50 minutes.
-LRT to Keystone has gotta be 20-40 years away, which would be about a 10-15 minute walk from my house. It will probably be a 45 minute walk to the LRT station by Vivo (Cardel Place) when greenline makes if there in hopefully 10-15 years, and I will have to cross Stoney, so hopefully there is a dedicated foot bridge by then.

My best reason to live in the area, is I got the house I wanted close enough to all of my kids grandparents. Probably doesn't help you much.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote