View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 07:07 PM   #4382
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

ohhh of course you always try and put joints on windows and limit the amount of but joints, i did know that but I didn't catch it, we last boarded in 2017 i've forgot some things , thanks for pointing it out.

I'm probably going to do drywall returns around the skylights, i didn't want this guy messing that part up.

Well joints 2 inches from the end at least corner tape should cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
What are you doing for returns on the skylights?

I only say to resheet because of the volume of joints and locations. Why you would put seams two inches from the edge is beyond me. Of those sheets had been main vertically you would have one nice joint every 4 feet, either between each light or half way through them. You’d never see them after. With End sheet butt joints everywhere your mudder will have a hard time hiding them all. Not saying it can’t be done but there’s easier ways and with time a jigsaw puzzle like that will probably show through. Too many people try to save a couple sheets of drywall by patching all the scraps together when a couple extra sheets would cut the joints in half.

As for gaps those aren’t terrible to manage, even the top joint you’re worried about. There are quick set compounds and full compound that dry much harder than the finishing mud you get in a bucket. I’ve even used quickset concrete mix to fill gaps before taping.

With texture it’s probably gonna be fine, I just wold have done it different. But I’m still learning after 4 complete Home Reno’s. I’m not a tradesman.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_Gimp For This Useful Post: