View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #33
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
^Good to know.

While I'm thinking of it, I wish I would have got a list of all the sub trades used in the build - specifically which company is doing the HVAC, which one is doing the roof, plumbing, electrical etc. I used a 5 star builder with perfect ratings but that doesn't mean jack if they cheap out on the critical structural aspects of a house. If they gave the name of the company doing the roof a 2 second google search would show me they do horrible work and that I would likely have issues with the roof (which I do).

For anyone building new - pro tip - ask for the names of the companies doing all aspects of the build.

I used to think buying an older house would bring so many issues, repairs, maintenance etc. But now I'm thinking it might actually be less headaches than a new build.
Older houses, pre 1980's, tend to be better built because what it took to become a carpenter in those days was so much more in depth, these days we wack out journeymen with a couple of years in trade school, half the time they can barely hang a door straight, that said older houses will usually need new furnaces, plumbing and electrical work, the good thing is you know that before you walk in the front door and can factor it in to the price up front.

I would never buy new, I just work on the assumption that all houses will have issues and the warranty on any new house is basically useful for little more than wiping your arse
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote