View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 03:52 AM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
I feel old. I remember the mall before that big reno and for some reason the flooring in particular - kind of a white colour with reflective quartz-like flakes embedded in it. Would that have been original (60s? 70s?) or was there another epic reno at some point in its history?
I think Chinook has been in a constant state of renovation since it opened.

When it first opened, it was actually two separate malls. Sears was the anchor tenant of the north mall and Woodward's was the anchor of the south. Eventually, the two malls expanded and were joined in the middle in the mid-70s.

My earliest memories of the mall were in the early 80s, and even though the upper floor was connected from one end to the other, you had to go outside and cross a small road to get from the north end to the south on the main floor.

In the mid-80s, they closed that gap with a new east-west expansion (this is probably where the white tile you remember was). At that point, the whole mall was a big mish-mash of different styles from the various eras, which led to the massive rebuild they did in the late-90s/early 2000s.

Then, a decade ago, they started on the new wing. Now, they're looking at another huge expansion. Once that's done, pretty much all of the usable space on the property will be filled up.