View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 02:30 PM   #638
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
For the Flames to move, ALL of the following would have to happen:

1. A non-local buyer offers more than a local buyer, and is willing to pay an additional $200M relocation fee (some speculate higher, but IMO this is realistic)

2. The price Murray & Co. agrees to sell for would also have to be less than what another NHL owner would except (i.e. why would someone pay Murray $600M when Meruelo (or Melnyk) might find it hard to refuse an offer of say $500M?)

3. The league and BOG would have to decide that the arena extortion game is more important than general stability and revenues.

#3 is anybody's guess (pre-COVID they might have favoured extortion, but I'm not so sure right now), but it's pretty tough to fathom conditions #1 and #2 existing at the same time - at least while the Coyotes and Sens are in more distressed situations.
I believe that the value of the new venue was baked into the 2021 valuation of the Flames, which is why it increased 42% YOY, the 5th most among NHL franchises. Without a new building, why would the value of the Flames increase more than most other franchises?

I'm pretty sure the Flames would not be valued at $680M today.

And the league is more concerned about long-term revenues than current revenues. With the current facilities, the Flames have the lowest potential revenue of any NHL franchise, and that discrepancy will only increase over time.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote