View Single Post
Old 05-26-2022, 08:41 AM   #313
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The quality of play in the CFL in recent years is directly tied to the quality and number of good QB's that are currently in the CFL. Just looking at the Stamps from the early 90's to today, they have had a run of Flutie to Garcia to Dickinson to Burris to Mitchell. That 30 years of top quality QB's for the Stamps is incredible. We also had the pleasure of watching guys like Anthony Calvillo, Ricky Ray, and Michael Reilly in the early 2000's until just recently.

Unfortunately, the league has had a tough time replacing these guys (except for Mitchell and we'll see if Jake Maier can do it if he remains a Stampeder) and as a result, offense had dried up and so has the entertainment value. It certainly doesn't help that the CFL coaches cap has wrecked continuity with teams as coaches are just like you and me, they are looking to be paid and who can blame them if they can get a huge pay increase by joining a new team.

That said, I think the Canadian athletes in USports have never been better, they are just finding it tough to make an impact in the league these days especially at the skill positions. You can be a 6' tall 190 lb wide receiver in USports who is competing for a job with a 6'4" 215 lb American and in the majority of cases the coach will go with the taller guy and the Canadian will either be converted into a safety or special teams player.

I love the CFL, I've been watching the league for over 50 years and I hope to be watching it for many more years. Let's all hope a CBA can get ratified and the league can get back on the field ASAP.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote