View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #23
nmhen
Everybody's favourite Wild fan!

Exp:

Hey gang....good to see you all again!

You know how every year I come in here and try to convince you the Wild really is different and is not the same old boring Lemaire team that you knew for so long?

Well this year it's really true. With the exception of the last two games (in which the Wild won despite not being their best), this team is pretty compelling to watch. They win a ton of faceoffs, and possess the heck out of the puck. They finally have more than one line that can hurt you, and Granlund-Pominville-?? on the "second" line is hotter'n'hades right now.

As previously observed, Backstrom has been horrid so far this season. He started not fully recovered from the hernia that took him out in warmups of game one against Chicago, and then aggravated a knee when Nystrom ran into him during the third game of the season.

That, however, opened the door for Harding - who has been outstanding (as also noted above, or in the preview). Yes, Harding has MS. But don't make this about how he is playing well despite the MS. He's playing well, period. It's not like 1.10 and .950 are just average numbers for a goalie who doesn't have MS.

Heatley has been terrible. Most Wild fans just want them to scratch him and be done with it (untradeable). He did score an actual (as opposed to empty-net) goal last game, though, so the hard core glass-half-full types among the Wild set are hoping that'll get him going. But very recently I know there was a bet in the press box about how many times he would fall down in a game. He's taking stupid penalties, slower than molasses, and he still has the 5-second wind-up that is just aggravating to watch (particularly when he gets his pocket picked during it, or it gives the defender enough time to get his stick in the way of the shot when it eventually occurs).

The defense is surprisingly not-top-heavy. Suter and Brodin are going to get 26+ every night. But Spurgeon is under-rated, Ballard has been okay (more solid plays than gaffes), and Stoner and Scandella are a serviceable third pair. Dumba has played his 9th game, so he's sat the past two games as they decide whether or not to send him back to Red Deer or burn the first year of his contract. They don't want him sitting for too long, but I don't know if he'll play tonight or not at this point.

I'm really hoping the Wild gets back to the strong play that they've exhibited for most of the (young) season tonight so you can see they're not just a trapping, dull team anymore.
nmhen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to nmhen For This Useful Post: