View Single Post
Old 08-23-2017, 03:14 PM   #23
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I'm going to sound insensitive, but it's been over a decade since it became public that the tenants would have to vacate the property.

They don't own the land, they are renters and they've had 10 years to plan their move. It's a mobile home park, if you're making your homes immobile on land you don't own, that you have no contract for, and you can't figure something out in a decade? I feel about as much compassion for these people as anyone in a ####ty situation, but this isn't the city's fault or Nenshi's, it's theirs.

The East Hills Estates cancellation was probably a mistake, but that doesn't seem to the biggest issue with most people still there.
I used to share your viewpoint, but I have since changed it after thinking a little more about the whole situation. This is not a typical landlord / tenant scenario where the landlord holds title to the land and the improvements while the lessee holds the right to occupy. In this case, the lessee holds title to the improvements, the value of which is almost entirely reliant upon the supply of serviced sites within a reasonable distance.

In 2010, the City told these residents that a new trailer park would be built for them to move into upon the closure of Midfield. Until May 2014, these residents had every reason to believe that the City was acting in good faith. Any person who bought a mobile home or made upgrades to their property between 2010 and 2014 did so believing there would be places to move these assets to upon the closure of the park. By cancelling the replacement park plan, the City rendered a whole bunch of people's property effectively worthless. That's not right and the City should make these people whole.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post: