View Single Post
Old 09-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #4778
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I particularly loved the part where they go to the old Japanese guy that invented Space Invaders and look at his hand-drawn notes.

That was so cool.

Also...a couple of things, the guys from ID Games who invented DOOM? Brilliant. Those are guys who understood their market and really got it.

WTF happened to ATARI? Mistakes were made.
I love the series, and put it on the same level as the Netflix documentary series around Toys and TV. They are brilliant and interesting.

John Romero was that guy that completely caught lightning in the bottle, and found the great market in gore games. He is the case of a game designer that probably should have stopped and his legacy would have been bigger then it is now.

The one on Roberta Williams and her role in almost creating the RPG graphic adventure was amazing to watch, especially when she was mapping out Kinds Quest.

But I look at game designers who probably should have stopped

Chris Roberts and the Wing Commander series. Brilliant games and storylines and completely bleeding edge technology. Then he went insane and went to Hollywood and flopped, and now Star Citizen is a mess.

Romero - I don't think he ever got back to the height of Doom

The designers of Duke Nukem

Oh and my favorite

Derek Smart - Very much like Roberts where he promised this bleeding edge really brilliant idea of Battle Cruiser 3000AD that he would never be able to deliver on. Now spends his days snipping people on the internet and talking about how brilliant he is.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote