View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #4764
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I'm sort of familiar, just read the plot on wiki to refresh my memory and I don't think I'd have the stomach to read the whole thing. As I understand it, it presents the love affair between a middle aged man and a 12 year girl as a natural and organic thing and has gone on to be the most identifiable cornerstone of pedo culture. 1955 France is a pretty different time and place, and I can see how the book is a relic of a fringe idea of sexuality from that time and now reads as a monstrous thing in a modern context. Given how synonymous it's become with pedo culture, I would assume the book has done tremendous harm over the years as it can provide a path and justification for pedos to act on their urges.
I just re-read the book last month. It is outstanding while being super uncomfortable at times. It is really good insight into the mind of a pedophile.

There's nothing organic about their love, though. The seeds for his infatuation with pubescent girls stems from a traumatic event in his childhood and while you can understand the way he thinks by virtue of seeing the world through his eyes, it's no less abhorrent.

Art can make you uncomfortable. Sounds a bit cheesy - and of course you're under no obligation to expose yourself to something that makes you squirm - but it sure seems you have put some limitations on your own opportunities to experience others' experiences and gain a broader understanding by just shutting these things out.

You're so vocal in your opposition to this movie, Cuties, but you haven't even seen it. It just seem so puritanical that I'm surprised to be seeing somebody so proudly hold such a close-minded opinion. It may deserve the scorn, but you're not the guy to be passing that judgement as you haven't even seen it. And - as is often the case when people shout stuff down from the rooftops - I'm now curious about it and if you had just moved along instead of getting all riled up I never would have even heard about it.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: