View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #63
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I wouldn't bump this thread for no good reason. Last night, we had our longtime companion Levi put to sleep. Although we'd been preparing for it for weeks, both of us are completely devastated. I keep trying to tell myself that he was just a dog, but he really was my friend--maybe my best friend in the world. I don't mind admitting that I cried when I held his head in my lap as he took his last breath--or that I've teared up many times in the 24 hours since. But I wanted to share a tribute to him that I posted on my family's blog. Those of you with furry friends--appreciate them. Their lives are more fleeting than you know.

Levi
September 1997--April 2009
This Friday evening was a very sad day in the Benediktsson family. Our longtime friend and faithful companion Levi passed away after a long adventure-filled life. In the end, his passing was quiet and dignified, and we felt blessed to be able to spare him from a protracted and painful battle with liver cancer--but that didn't make the decision that we had to make any easier.

Levi joined our family shortly before Christmas of 1997, when we were young, foolish and unprepared for the challenges of dog ownership. In a way, he taught us as much as we taught him about life with a canine companion. We learned to be good leaders; to lead firmly and consistently without malice or anger. We learned to be patient; to breathe deeply and enjoy the moments of bliss that may be found in simple things. Above all, we learned that no earthly pleasure is greater than swimming, running, or chasing a tennis ball--and that no earthly treasure is more valuable than friendship itself. We also learned that true friendship requires no speech: togetherness is its own language, and Levi communicated to us his love and devotion every day of his life, in a language that if one but stoops to listen, contains within it a magical, mute poetry of great power and great import.

He was brave and stoic to the end. We learned of his illness only when he could not conceal it from us any longer, and our hearts have been heavy these last eight months, knowing that each one could be the last one that he would share with us. However, our final days with him have been a gift, one we will never forget. He shared with us his companionship; we thanked him by shielding him from suffering.

I think we got the better deal. Levi, you were a better dog than I was an owner. I'll always miss you--and if there's one thing I want you to take with you wherever it is that you go, it's this:

Good boy. You did good.

Now rest.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Iowa_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post: